Acute Pain - Goals of the Acute Pain SIG
- Pursue initiatives to improve the management of acute pain in Canada.
- Promote research regarding acute pain and the mechanisms of transformation from acute pain to chronic pain.
- Promote undergraduate and postgraduate training related to acute pain management as a core content for all clinical specialties
- Promote awareness about the need to better manage acute pain in all appropriate settings (e.g. postoperative pain, pain in the emergency department).
- Liaise with other organizations concerned with the management of acute pain where appropriate (e.g. CAS, CPC, APDOC, CFPC, CAEP).
- Liaise with other CPS SIGs on projects of common interest (e.g. Education SIG).
- Act as a resource to CPS Scientific Arrangements Committee to assure that the annual meeting includes topics regarding acute pain.
- Publicize the CPS’ interest in acute pain to allow recruitment of dentists, emergency physicians, family physicians, allied health workers, paramedics and others to CPS.